You’re already in Germany.
Or you’re about to go to the country of Bratwurst.
And you want to find the best local dating apps.
Perfect, because that’s exactly what you’re going to get in today’s article.
In this article:More...
Important: I know you're sometimes unsure what to text. So I've put together 10 Texts That Always Work. Copy-paste lines that instantly attract her and make her crave your attention. They work and they are free. Just a small gift to get you started. Enjoy! Click here to get them.
What is the German online dating demographic?
- About 11% of the German population actively swipes. And about one-third of them has at least once installed a dating app.
- Germany has the 4th biggest online dating audience of the world (relatively speaking). With around 83 million inhabitants, the German online dating crowd is over 9 million people big.
- Out of 9 million German online daters, 3 million are women.
- The male-to-female ratio is slightly skewed towards men. In between the 18 and 24-year-olds, you have 4 women for every 6 men. And for the people aged 25 – 34, you have about 3 women for every 7 guys.
- What are the intentions of the German digital daters? According to Statista, about 49% of people want a relationship, 36% want to hook up and 15% don’t know.
What are the best dating apps in Germany?
- Best for finding someone funny: Hater
- Best for something casual: Tinder
- Best for finding cute locals: Lovoo
- Best for high-quality dates: Bumble
- Best for serious dating: OkCupid and eDarling
- Best for people under 21: Badoo and Hot or Not
We’ll be going over the dating app specifics in the rest of the article.
Starting with the most obscure and interesting of the bunch.
Tired of swiping pretty faces? Let’s turn your hate into a date.
Hater revolves around your personal frustrations and hates.
Although the dating app started as a joke, studies show that sharing a common enemy brings people together. So being a pessimist finally pays off.
Anyway, instead of faces you swipe topics.
And topics vary from giant beards, nails on a chalkboard, spiders, and people who spend ten minutes in line at a Starbucks and still don’t know what to order.
How does it work?
- Swipe left to dislike a topic, right to like.
- Swipe up for amazing and down for hate.
Once you express enough of your hate, it’s time to match.
Hater combs its user base to find people with a similar hatred for life.
The higher the match percentage, the more hates and dislikes you share.
It’s here where Hater turns into the traditional swiping app we know and love.
You see a Hater’s name, photos, distance and hate-folio.
Do you like what you see? Take a chance and swipe right.
Does your match hate fedoras? Swipe left.
Continue until you find you find the hater of your dreams.
Do you hate coming up with a funny opener?
Hater has got your back.
The dating app helps you break the ice with a Card Against Humanity tactic.
You pick a phrase and fill in the blank.
Giving you gems like:
- Almost everyone has a good sense of humor.
- Absolutely free.
- Available on Android and iOS.
- Easy icebreakers.
- Not very popular.
- If you swipe a Hater left, it doesn’t take long before she turns up again in your match rotation.
- Hater doesn’t take distance into consideration. It sucks to match a girl who lives 80+ KM (60+ miles) away.
Bumble is a dating app that empowers women.
On Bumble women send the first text.
Apparently, many ladies are tired of rude and heartless pick-up lines.
And who can blame them with messages like this?
The last line had me spitting up my drink. But it IS insensitive to farts.
Although it sounds great to have a woman take the initiative and break the ice, it’s not all marshmallows and lollipops.
If your profile doesn’t give her something easy to work with, your matches will probably send you this:
The ladies on Bumble, however, have a legitimate excuse for their lack of originality.
A time window.
If she doesn’t text you within 24 hours after matching, she loses you as a match.
And if you don’t reply within 24 hours after her opener, the match also disappears.
Bumble wants to be known as an app that successfully leads to dates.
So it has no patience for unresponsive users.
- Women have the burden of coming up with a witty line.
- Women tend to be interested in chatting and meeting up.
- No limit on your swipes (Tinder has a cap of 100 a day).
- Most used by expats and travelers with good English.
- Attracts a more mature and high-quality audience.
- Has user verification (no more catfish!).
- Thanks to the time windows, a match isn’t a guarantee you’ll eventually chat.
- Most women send boring icebreakers, leaving you to spice up the conversation.
- Not hugely popular in Germany outside of the cities.
- Not the best option if you want to date locals.
Next up, an American classic.
OkCupid has 5 million active users and takes a stand against swiping apps.
Rather than swipe faces, the OkCupid algorithm connects you to like-minded people.
How does the app know who shares your ideas?
Through a series of questions you answer during registration.
- Is the astrological sign at all important in a match?
- Are you kinky?
- Are you ready to settle down and get married right now?
Whether you skip questions is up to you, but you must fill in enough so OkCupid can match you with others.
To help find your perfect match, you can mark questions as important.
After you answer a minimum of 15 prompts, the app shows you profiles based on a compatibility rate.
Like most dating apps, OkCupid has a mutual-like system.
If you want to chat, it’s not enough for you to like her. She must also like you back.
OkCupid offers you two ways to go through your matches.
You can use the Quickmatch format: judge one profile at a time.
Or, you can scroll through multiple profiles and comment on specific prompts. Although she won’t see your message until she Likes you.
- One of the first and most known dating apps.
- The compatibility rate improves the odds of chemistry.
- Lots of ex-pats and tourists who speak English.
- LGBTQ-friendly (13 gender identities, 22 sexual orientations).
- Not hugely popular in Germany, except for Berlin and a few other progressive cities.
- Not the best place to meet locals.
Next up, the most successful German dating platform.
eDarling is a highly successful German matchmaking website, which also has an app.
If you know Match, you basically know eDarling.
Although it has people of all ages, the average eDarling user is 30+ and is looking for a relationship.
Are you living in Germany and looking for a mature partner?
eDarling may be for you.
To help you find a match, the app forces a fistful of questions down your throat and calls it a personality test.
Welcome to hell.
A few hundred questions later, you’re ready to match.
Unlike most modern dating apps, you’re not free to browse eDarling’s singles.
Instead, the algorithm sends you partner suggestions. Free users get 7 a day and subscribers get 20.
While signing up is free, texting a match is not.
You can’t reach out to a lady without going premium.
- The best option if you’re 35+ and want a lifelong partner.
- Educated and career-driven crowd.
- Highly responsive women.
- Freemium is useless.
- Very few women in their 20s.
- Most ladies live in the cities.
- Barely any foreigners.
Now for a dating app that’s popular among the young and old.
5. Hot or Not
Hot or Not is a dating service made by the creators of Badoo.
The idea is simple:
The app shows you a scrollable photo album and you can give one of two answers ‘Hot’ (if you want to get in touch) and ‘Not’ (if you don’t want to see them again).
Hot or Not is known across the globe and has more than 340 million users.
Besides the name, Hot or Not is almost identical to Badoo.
You sign up through Facebook (or email), then you state your gender and your reason for joining (chatting, dating or making new friends).
Although the app doesn’t specify a target audience, it’s clearly aimed at the young. Most members are under the age of 30.
Thanks to its casual nature, Hot or Not mainly revolves around hookups.
Are you under 25 years old and looking to date similarly-aged singles?
Hot or Not is for you.
- Young and open-minded audience.
- Quick and easy registration.
- You can upload videos.
- Not everyone wants to date. Many people join to socialize.
- Men don’t get a 3-day premium trial and go through a stricter registration process.
- You must verify your account (by linking your social media) to get high-quality matches.
Let’s see what Hot or Not’s daddy has to offer.
As the app that invented the swiping system, Badoo has 418 million users.
Making it the most downloaded dating app in the world. Although that doesn’t mean it has the most active users.
To best describe Badoo, see it as a blend of Tinder and Happn.
You can find women in your swipe stack, or you can swipe the women you physically crossed paths with.
Thanks to its age, Badoo still has a loyal following in Germany.
Badoo is the weird one of today’s app collection.
It’s actually a social network site.
Some people join for dates, others to chat and make friends.
- Highest member count of all the dating apps.
- Easy to use.
- Not every girl is looking to date.
- Incredibly young and immature audience.
- Badoo blows up your phone with notifications (although you can turn those off).
- You can’t see if someone read your message.
Now for Germany’s MOST praised dating app.
Lovoo is the most successful dating app in Germany.
It’s basically the German version of Tinder. Although there are subtle differences.
Lovoo has a whopping 70 million users. Of which 1.9 million are active on the daily.
What sets it apart from its American rival?
A LIVE radar that lets you see where and how many girls from Lovoo are in your area.
Big Lovoo is watching you.
If you have the stones, you can actually walk up to a girl from Lovoo and approach her in person. Amazingly powerful tool for meeting women at festivals and big live events.
Meeting online is wonderful, if you can hold her attention.
Which is pretty hard, unless you know what you’re doing.
What makes online conversations easier, is starting off strong.
And one of the strongest ways to start is with the most effective opener in the galaxy…
The Clickbait Opener.
Lovoo separates itself from Tinder in three other ways.
The first is with extra profile options. Yawn.
Another unique feature is the hashtag. Like Instagram, you can add a hashtag to every one of your photos.
Thanks to the hashtag, you can also find matches with the search function. Rather than swiping through a pile of random profiles.
Simply go to search and enter a topic like ‘#partyanimal’ or ‘#waffles’. You may find the raving, waffle-eating girl of your dreams.
The last one-of-a-kind feature is called Icebreaker.
What does it do?
It lets you send a text to a woman you are NOT matched with.
Put simply, the Icebreaker is a way to win her over if your profile didn’t do the trick.
Free users get one a day, and premium members get three a day.
Another feature that rocks is verification.
Have you ever seen a woman so beautiful that it was too good to be true?
Lovoo’s verification feature lets you find out.
If she sends in a photo of herself holding a piece of paper with her username to customer support, she gets the seal of approval.
She’s officially not a catfish.
Does she not have the verification symbol? Chances are she’s not who she claims she is.
- Most popular dating app for Germans.
- Live radar to meet women in person.
- Icebreaker to win over girls you haven’t matched with.
- Hashtag to find new matches.
- Verified users aren’t catfish.
- Free is awful. You need a paid membership to get anything good out of it.
- Not many tourists or expats.
Tinder needs no introduction.
Although it wasn’t the first dating app, Tinder made sure it was the most known.
Create a profile in under 60 seconds, swipe and get matches.
Tinder truly is that simple.
But how popular is Tinder amongst German women?
Old surveys say Tinder is second to Lovoo.
But two dating coaches in Germany claim Tinder kicked Lovoo off the throne.
And seeing Tinder’s popularity steadily rise over the years, I believe them.
- Equally popular, if not more, than Lovoo.
- Free is more than enough to get dates.
- Has locals, ex-pats, and tourists.
- All age groups and backgrounds.
- The algorithm is tough for people who don’t know what they’re doing.
- No way to filter out who you want besides age, location, and gender.
With the apps out of the way, we get into some must-know facts for foreigners.
Must-knows for foreigners dating in Germany
Here come a few insights and tips into German culture that’ll make your trip and dates go smoothly.
- Germans are very forward. Instead of tippy-toeing around a sensitive subject, they like to go right for the jugular.
- Germans are big on etiquette. Especially in the countryside. City culture is more relaxed, but they still frown upon littering and being loud in public.
- Always have some cash on you. Many German shops and restaurants are still cash-only.
- Germans aren’t as politically correct as Americans. If you walk into a German costume shop, you won’t only find Michael Jackson and Trump masks, you’ll also find items that’ll turn you into a Native American or a person of African descent.
- German women are often open to casual sex, as long as it feels fun and she feels safe.
- No jokes about Adolf Hitler, the nazis, or the war. Instant mood killer.
- Berlin is one of the most progressive places in the world. The culture is incredibly open-minded culture. And that shows in their amount of speed dating events, swinger clubs, and fetish parties.
Who pays when you’re on a date in Germany?
It all depends on the vibe.
If I sense she doesn’t want to pay, I pick up the tab in an instant.
Does she reach into her purse for her wallet?
Then I’ll say I’ll pay for the next round.
“You get the cocktails. When we visit the ice cream parlor, I’ll pay for the frozen yogurts.”
If you consider yourself a nice guy or a people pleaser, I definitely recommend taking turns with the bill.
Firstly, it’s what friends do. So you’ll seem less like a stranger.
Two, it’s more masculine, because you’re not putting her on a pedestal.
All this doesn’t mean chivalry is dead. Just that it’s a choice, not a must.
How to reliably land dates after matching
Just getting a match isn’t enough to meet up with her.
You have to make her excited to see you first by sending her all the right texts.
If that’s something you struggle with, then I have just what you need.
My 10 Texts That Always Work and my ‘personality slice’ technique.
You can find both down below by hitting the big gold button.
And don't forget your download below ;)